We’ve reviewed Squaw Valley in the past, and the info linked above is still relevant, helping you plan your Squaw Valley ski trip! But the holiday season at Squaw Valley is amazing, and worth planning around. For a taste of what this iconic ski resort is like during the festive holiday season, read on!
Holiday season at Squaw Valley:
For our family, spending the holidays at a ski resort cannot be beat. We absolutely love spending Christmas amid evergreens, snow, and ski slopes. The Village at Squaw comes alive with holiday decor, a massive tree, and outdoor fire pits ready for marshmallow roasting. This festive ambiance is really all we need to get into the holiday spirit, but if you need more, you’ll find it!
In the days leading up to Christmas, families can listen to professional orchestras and singers like the Tahoe Symphony Orchestra and the Reno Jazz Orchestra, and holiday meal options abound, from breakfast with Santa to a farm-to-table dinner series. You can take a ride in a horse-drawn sleigh or go tubing with friends, and catch carolers in the village throughout the holiday season.
During our two ski days leading up to Christmas, Squaw Valley got dumped on, with almost two feet of snow in two days. It was powder heaven on the slopes, and when we’d had enough, our lodging in the Village at Squaw Valley was only a few steps from the slopes. We spent the late afternoons in the hot tub in our building, playing Monopoly, and sneaking away for a hot toddy at the Plaza Bar (grown ups only!). While in the lodge for lunch, Santa came by our table with candy canes. Some planned events were cancelled due to the heavy snow, but no one seemed to mind!
We ate a holiday meal pre-Christmas at Plumpjack, located in the Squaw Valley Inn. Our four-course meal with the family was made even more special by the snow falling outside. And we never had to get in our car…a huge plus while on a ski vacation where weather becomes a factor to be reckoned with.
If you come to enjoy the holiday season at Squaw Valley, don’t miss:
- The festive holiday atmosphere in the Village at Squaw Valley
- The holiday meal offerings at Plumpjack
- Free sleigh rides: catch a ride between the Village at Squaw Valley and the Olympic Village Lodge
- Free train rides through the ice sculpture garden: North Tahoe Catering sculptors create animals and shapes from ice in the Ice Garden at Olympic Village Lodge.
- The chance to glimpse Santa on the slopes: during our visit, we caught sight of his bright red hat several times!
- New Year’s Eve celebration: includes a torchlit parade and fireworks!
Photos courtesy of Squaw Alpine and Amy Whitley.
Pin it for later!